In July Open Payments got a new addition to “the family” when Onur Yildiz joined us in the role of Sales Director after having spent three years at iZettle. But who is he and why is he here? We decided to find out.
What motivated you to start working at Open Payments?
– I was intrigued by the challenge that comes with working in a start-up. I was looking forward to my new assignment, including both highs and lows, and putting in the hours it takes to make the company grow.
That’s inspiring. Do you have a quote or motto that inspires you a little extra?
– Yes, I do. It goes:
“Perfect is the enemy of good”
How would you describe yourself using three words?
– Empathetic, analytic and open-minded.
How would others describe you?
– Honest, kind and trustworthy.
You previously worked for another company within payments.
What made you interested in the financial field?
– The diversity within the financial field is vast and it accommodates many different skillset opportunities. It helps me add new skills whilst building upon my current ones. Open Payments operates in open banking, a rather new field of business within the financial sector, and this brings a lot of excitement for me.
I have to ask, what was your dream job as a child?
– To become a professional footballer.
What do you hope to achieve long-term as Sales Director for Open Payments?
– Making Open Payments the obvious choice of platform in Europe for businesses to integrate with when it comes to open banking.
We are interested in getting to know Onur. What is a fun fact about you?
– Maybe not fun in some people’s eyes, but I like Naruto.
Editor’s note: For those of us that don’t know what Naruto is, Wikipedia explains it as follows: “Naruto is a Japanese manga series written and illustrated by Masashi Kishimoto. It tells the story of Naruto Uzumaki, a young ninja who seeks to gain recognition from his peers and also dreams of becoming the Hokage, the leader of his village.”
Do you have any hidden talents?
– I have a hunting license, so I’m guessing I am a good enough shooter to say it’s one of my hidden talents.
Do you listen to podcasts? Which ones are on your top three?
– I do! Let me think… I’d say:
- The Joe Rogan Experience
- Hotboxin’ With Mike Tyson
- When We Were Kings
Do you have a bucket list? Can you list a few things?
- Build a [water] well in a place that needs it.
- Doing some kind of volunteer work that helps people.
Learn how to play the Saz.
Wow. That’s amazing.
Let’s say you’re going camping and you’re only allowed to bring three things. What do you bring?
– Tent, an axe and flint starter. (I would leave the fiancé at home).
Thank you Onur for taking the time to answer our questions!